Sunday, January 13, 2008

Preschool Games- You Can Make At Home


Works for me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer.
Winter Bazaar at Scribbit.
These are games that my kids and I have played and have enjoyed. They do not require a lot of materials but are very fun.

The first one is the missing game, and all my kids still like this one.


1. The Missing Game.
You need a tray or a plate, and put random items on it. Let the kids study it and then remove one item, while they close their eyes. Now let them guess which item is
missing. The older the child, or the more items you place on the tray.






2. Animal Charades-
Write a bunch of different animals names on pieces of paper or cut out pictures from magazines and glue them on a card. Let the child draw on
e out from a bowl. Tell them the animal if it is written, and let them act it out. The others would have to guess it. Whoever guesses correctly, wins that round and gets to go next.
This is Colton being a snake. This game can be very amusing.


3.Do not forget,there is always,"Simon Says."

4. Freeze game.
Turn on some music,
let them dance and then turn the music off. Whoever can stay in that position the longest, wins.









5. Caterpillar Plate Game.
First make a head of the Caterpillar out of a paper plate and write the one letter on each plate. Set the head down and give the rest of the plates to the child. See if they can put them in order. You may need to start with just a few letters at first, so it is not to overwhelming. Also,
you may have to say what is the first letter." "A" good. put that letter down, What is next ? Start singing A, then what is next. "B" good. Now put B down." And so on.


6. The Fishing Game
This is definitely my kids favorite.
You need a wooden dow
and tie string or fishing line to it. And on the end of the string add a magnet(a horse shape works well)










Then cut out fish and write letters, numbers or shapes on them. Add a paper clip to each fish for the magnet to attach to.


Then have the kids catch a fish. If they identify the letter or # correctly they get to keep it. If not they have to throw it back. Whoever has the most wins. But really it does not matter, they really enjoy the fishing part.

32 comments:

Pam said...

Looks like fun! I will have to borrow those! My 3 (almost 4) year old would love those....

Thanks for sharing!

Mari said...

Cute games. My kids are too old but I have nieces that would like these!

Family O'Foxes said...

Game #1 we played a tons of times while waiting for dr. appointments and stuff. I would do it with stuff out of my purse. Same game they play around here for baby showers. So, you are just getting your kids ready for "adult baby shower games." :) hee hee!
~Amy

Family Adventure said...

These are awesome games. In particuarly, the first one. I really liked the items on the tray - so different! I guess that's the point.

Love the caterpillar, too :)

Heidi

Melissa said...

Hmm, this would be good with sight words, too. I think we're going to have to use a few of these ideas. Thanks!

Jennifer said...

Thanks again for the ideas! I will certainly use them!

Jen said...

All very good ideas....I love the fishing Idea.

My Goodness said...

Fun fun fun!!
Must do!

Melanie said...

You are so full of great ideas. Hailey is still too young for most of this stuff, but I always file away great ideas for future use.

Melanie said...

Ooops- forgot to leave my link to my new blog.
Livin' With Me

Sandy C. said...

Wow! Those look great! I love that fishing game...my daughter would love it :)

Nap Warden said...

Well aren't you clever! Great job!

dcrmom said...

You're so creative! WOW!! See, this is why I ship my kids off to preschool. Because I'm so NOT creative like this. :-)

Kellan said...

So many great games - my kids love the missing game (me too!)! You are a great mom! Take care. Kellan

Sue said...

How awesome! My kids are 3, 5 and 6 - so we will definitely be trying some of them out. Thanks for sharing these - how fun!

Brittany said...

Ohh I love the caterpillar one! I think I might try that. The fish one looks fun, too! :) Great ideas, thanks for sharing!

Are You Serious! said...

Those are great ideas... I think kids would love those too.

Tot's Mom said...

The Freeze Game seems interesting. There should be quite a few laughs with that one.

MamaGeek said...

Those ARE awesome games. Yet another post, I've bookmarked under the "DO THIS" category. And I love those shots, how cute!

So, when are you writing a craft book already?

Renae said...

Thanks for the game ideas. I, too, am a mom of four, but judging by your pictures, my short people are shorter than yours. This is my first visit to your blog. I look forward to coming back.

Blessings,
Renae

Steph said...

Have I told you how cool you are??? I am totally going to use these games with my kids!

GoMommy said...

Great game ideas! These actually look like they could hold my guys attention longer than 5 minutes! Great for being cooped up in the house due to cold weather. I will be checking out your blog more often!

Brandi said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I love your ideas. My little MayMay will just love these. We do the freeze game in reverse - she beats out a tune on her drum (empty storage container and she hits it with the lid), Mom, Grumpy and I dance until she stops playing. She gets so giggly and forgets to stop the music! Woo, wears me out!

Brandi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
david mcmahon said...

Yep, magnet fishing gets my vote every time.

I've also do a lot of painting with my kids - great fun all round!

carrie said...

That fishing game is so cool! Where did you find that horseshoe magnet?

louann said...

This is just so great! I can't wait to try these with my pre-schooler. I especially like the first game =)

Heidi @ GGIP said...

Wow, you have a lot of ideas! thanks.

The Thrifty Blogger said...

That's great! I love the fishing game, that is so cool! I'm going to try that with my grandaughter. Thanks! :)

Jamie said...

Great game ideas! I linked to you!

katy said...

I love these ideas, and am writing a post to link to you. I would like to use the last fish picture to put with that post. Please contact me if it's ok with you. Thanks!
Katy@AdventuresInParenting.org

Anonymous said...

I love the caterpillar game! You could probably do the same concept with words (such as the child's name). We might have to try this soon! Thanks! :-)