Thursday, February 14, 2008

Preschool Craft Morning

For my MOPS group, I am doing a craft morning with the preschoolers. Two Fridays ago we did Valentine's Project's, but tomorrow our theme is going to be animals. I thought I would share my ideas in case someone was interested in doing something similar. It is really easy and a good excuse to get together with other Moms. We have it at the churches' fellowship hall. It is a great place to have this, alot better than my house.
First we start out by reading 2 or 3 short books. Tomorrow the book will be about animals. Maybe "Brown, Brown Bear, What Do You See" and I have not decided on the other books yet.

Then we will sing a few songs. I try to go around and ask each child what song they would like to sing, and then end it with some movement songs such as, " We are Walking."

Next I made some binoculars for the kids to use. We are going to play aniaml charades. I have written some animal names on slips of paper, each child is going to pick an animal and they can act it out or I can. Then while the other kids are looking through their binoculars, they have to guess what animal is being acted out.

Afterwards the kids can decorate the binoculars.













Then we start our crafts. Our first craft is a lion craft I got from, " Little Kids Can... Cut." This book has large, scissor skill patterns for developing fine motor skills.
I cut all the lions out ,but they can color the lion, cut the mane and glue it together.

Then I cut some eye holes out of paper plates, so the kids can make some kind of mask. If they want to make an animal mask fine, if not fine too.
After the crafts, we eat a bag lunch we packed. The kids get some free time to play and the moms get to chat.

As you can see the crafts do not have to be to complicated or involved. They are preschoolers, so the crafts can not be to complicated.

Since the spell check is down , please pardon my spelling mistakes, I am a terrible speller.










post signature

20 comments:

Andrea said...

That sounds fun! I wish I could bring Tate there! :) I think I will make him a pair of those binoculars though...he'd probably like those!

Lainey-Paney said...

I have a fabulous book suggestion to go along with that....

"Tails" by Matthew Van Fleet
(if you're interested in finding it...)
It's so cute. It's all about the different tails of different animals...fluffy tails, spiky tails...etc.

:)

Melissa said...

Wow, that sounds like a great idea and I would figure the 'lesson' responsibility gets passed around from mom to mom...to bad Hope is already in school!

Sarcastic Mom (aka Lotus) said...

Those look like fun crafts! :-)

Family Adventure said...

That's a great craft. I bet the kids are going to love it!

Happy weekend, Jenn. I am off to the cottage - hope you have a couple of good days with kids and husband :)

Heidi

Are You Serious! said...

♥ Very cute idea!

Jennifer said...

It looks like they will have a lot of fun!

Michie said...

What is MOPS? I've seen that in several blogs, but I don't know what it is. Sounds like a group of Moms getting together...I wish I knew some other moms near me to do fun crafts with! :) A good book for your binoculars might be "Going On A Bear Hunt." :)

Maggie said...

cute cute cute! Now I'm all excited about finding something crafty to do today...

Amy said...

Wow! That sounds like fun! I did a playgroup once that was animal themed. We made binoculars and had each child bring their favorite stuffed animals. We hid the stuffed animals all over my yard and the kids had to find them. I did printable coloring pages to go along with the theme and the moms each brought a snack. It was a blast. I have gotten lazy about stuff like this :) Thanks for inspiring me!!

Melanie said...

What a great idea. I used to teach preschool- I sure could have used some of your amazing ideas then.

btw- I'm not a great speller either- so what I have been doing is copying and pasting my post into my email and using the spell check there. Just an idea ;)
Our Happy Happenings
Livin' With Me

Mrs Nespy said...

How fun! Wish I were there to act out animals and make masks!

Beth said...

That's a really cute idea! Let us know how it all turns out; I bet the kids will have a blast with it.

Beth said...

We had a great time this morning!

Mamacita Tina said...

Hi, happened upon your blog. I'm just starting to try to homeschool my preschooler. I like your craft ideas. The lion is a great one for scissor practice, and yet so cute. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Sandra said...

What a great idea, this looks like so much fun :)

Pam said...

Fun! I might have to try that. Wait, I think I say that all the time and I never try it. Well- it looks fun and easy and one of these days my tired back side will try one of your great ideas!

Christy said...

The best part of the playdate for the moms was the book about matching animals to the right tails. Very Funny!! The girls played with their binoculars today when we got home and of course, Jackson wanted one too. Thanks for all you did today. It was fun for everybody!

Joanna said...

Cute stuff!
What is the deal with the spell check being down? I'm a terrible speller too. Grr.

Jessica said...

It seems like you had a lot of fun!