Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Quick and Easy Treasure Hunt




I was trying to get the some things accomplished this weekend but the kids kept interupting . So I was thinking how can I get them out of my hair for a little while. I had read at Sunshine's Blog , her son had done a treasure hunt for her on Valentine's Day. And at the end there was candy and a big card he had made. It is a very sweet post. Anyway, I thought I can do that, leave clues around the house and they could find something at the end. I used a stuff animal for their treasure. The hunt was suppose to be the fun part, not the prize.

I took 3x5 cards and wrote simple clues on the them.

I know you guys can come up with clues, because I read your blogs and you are all very creative but I will still give you some examples:

It is where you sleep that is high in the sky - Top bunk
It is very cold here. Brrrrrrrr! I a freezing. - The freezer
Where you put your dirty clothes- Laundry Room See you can reenforce good habits
Use it to eat- Utensil drawer
Let James out!!! - Open the front door
You like to pick me out - where we keep the movies
Bikes are kept here- Garage

You get the point. My two older kids would read the clues out loud and everyone took turns trying to find the next cards. After that, the older kids made their own clues, so it kept them busy for a little while.
You may say that is a good idea, but my kids are to young to read. I thought you could take 3x5 cards and place pictures on them from old magazines. For example, paste a picture of a tooth brush on the card, they would have to go where you keep the tooth brushes, next cereal box picture. They would go to the pantry or cabinet where the cereal is.

Another good idea from Beth, was to use words they can sound out or may be learning. Such as bed, bath tub, sink, etc. You give them a card that said BED, when they got to the bed, the next card would be there and it would say bath tub and so on. I love that idea for teaching words around the house. Thanks Beth.

My kids really enjoyed playing this, have you done anything like this if so what ?



post signature

26 comments:

Christine said...

What a great and fun idea! Thanks!

Brittany said...

Great idea! Thanks!

Beth said...

Sounds like fun. Can't wait till my kids can read and can keep themselves busy with somethng like this!

Beth said...

That's a really fun idea, and if you had children who were learning to read you could plan to use the words they already knew how to sound out. I'm going to have to try this!

Melissa said...

Hope would love this. I think I'll put Joe on this one, he's so much more creative than I am...

Teachin' this mommy new tricks! said...

Fun idea. I can't do it with my daughter caust she is too young, but I can totally do that for my nieces and nephews! thanks

Minimalist Mommy said...

Hi, first time here and have some reading to do. Great tip on the treasure hunt. I may have to do one to get some housework done.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

Hey, thanks for using my idea! Actually, my SON'S idea - I should say. He really has fun doing those. Your hunt sounds neat.

Thanks for reading :)

And I know about the being behind thing. I STAY behind.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Great idea! We may have an ice day tomorrow (freezing rain expected in the AM - school always closes with ice). This would be a perfect activity!

My Ice Cream Diary said...

It has been much too long since our last treasure hunt. I also love the idea of using it as a reading game. I think we will do that today.

Joanna said...

I did this for the twin's birthday. They were into pirate stuff so I had them treasure hunt for clues and they had to find their presents on the clues.
I scored for being a fun mom but they trashed the house looking for the clues. Oops!

Bonnie said...

That sounds like to much fun. We've had sooo much rain lately that it's hard to keep the kids from bouncing off the walls !! This seems like it might be a great activity to do with them.

Amber M. said...

Very fun...I love the idea of putting pictures on the clue cards because my little ones at home during the day can't read yet. Brilliant!

MamaGeek said...

I LOVE this idea. Fantastic!

Maggie said...

I swear that you have more creative ideas than anyone else I know...and they are always great!

Pam said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! I sure hope I actually use these one day - you know, if I stop blogging long enough to make the cards and do it!

Family O'Foxes said...

What a fun idea!

I know what you mean about not keeping up with "blogging".

In a half an hour I'm on my way to picking up 254 cases of Girl scout cookies ...that equals 3,048 boxes of cookies.
~Amy

Andrea said...

That sounds like such a great idea! Plus I'm sure any kid would LOVE a treasure hunt like that!! I know I would! hehe ;)

girlymom said...

Sounds like fun. We have done this outside in the summer, but this is a great idea for the winter blahs.

Michelle said...

oh great idea Jen :) thanks and I've finally posted the recipe for the slow cooker enchiladas enjoy...

*carrie* said...

That is so fun--my son's too young, but maybe I'll do this for my husband. =)

Scribbit said...

With my youngest just learning to read I can see her having fun with this if I wrote simple words on cards adn let her use those as clues--great idea!

MommySecrets said...

Very cute - I especially appreciate your list of clues to get us started!

Anonymous said...

If you're becoming a teacher of children you should know the proper use of "there" versus "their".

jennwa said...

I am sorry Anonymous, I do no believe I am perfect and I am sure you will find many typo's in my blog. But if you have something rude to write please have the nerve to use your name.

Anonymous said...

My niece put together a scavanger hunt for Easter and among many other things she had a Bible verse scramble which matched the occassion