Saturday, February 2, 2008

Yarn Aliens

This is a project a did with my 2 youngest kids earlier this week. They were suppose to be love bugs but I did not have any plain red yarn. So we turned them into aliens.

You will need : yarn, foam pieces, scissors, Styrofoam balls (I used 3 inch balls), pipe stem cleaners, in the picture I show a glue gun, but craft glue works better, and piece of cardboard 5 1/2 inches long.






Wrap the yarn around the card board about 100 times. Tie a string in the middle.









Turn the cardboard over (opposite of the side with the tie)
Then cut.








Take the Stryofoam ball and put glue on the top half.


Grab the top of the yarn strands above the knot and spread the bottom strands over the ball.











Let the top strands go and arrange evenly around the ball.
Trim any pieces of yarn that may be too long or uneven.





Then decorate. We added feet by cutting out some feet shapes from the foam and gluing them
to the bottom. We also added arms , eyes, nose, mouth and antennae.





This is Colton's alien.








This is Cheyanne's alien.









post signature







25 comments:

Family Adventure said...

They are super, duper cute. I love that you improvised from love bug to alien. :)

Hope you're having a good Saturday.

Heidi

Melissa said...

What a cute idea!

Michelle said...

what a great craft!!!I love it Jenn thanks for the idea.:)also thank you for the blog visit:D.Have a great weekend.

Lainey-Paney said...

you're so creative.
what wonderful memories you are making w/ your kiddos!

Jennifer said...

love it!

Pam said...

seriously, my kids want to know when they can move in to your house!

Andrea said...

Those are SO adorable - and all I need is the ball and we can make some cute yarn aliens!! :)

tommie said...

those are cute! hope the weekend is going well.

Sue said...

Oh my gosh, I love these. You're like a crafting rock star.

Beth said...

These are adorable!

Amber M. said...

SO, so cute. Filing this one away to use during the NEXT 6 WEEKS OF WINTER!

Sandra said...

They are so cute, I have to try this with the kids :) Thank you Jenn.

Hugs,
Sandra

Maggie said...

Those are so adorable!!

ValleyGirl said...

Cute craft! I'll have to try this with my 3-1/2 yr old when her older sister is at school.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I really love the 'a clean house is the sign of a broken computer' cartoon on your sidebar. Describes my situation perfectly! Would you mind if I use it, too?

ValleyGirl said...

You don't have to give me any credit for the "two-day course for men." It's just one of the kabillion junk email forwards floating around in cyberspace. (but if you want to, I certainly won't turn down the 'linky love!')

Melanie said...

Those are incredibly cute!!

I've tagged you ;)

http://livinwithme.com/

ComfyDenim said...

Very Nice to meet you!
I hope your kids have fun with the project...and I think my son would love yours. He loves making things like this. I'm going to have to try it... I think I have styrofoam left over from another project. :-)

Thank you!!

Corey~living and loving said...

awwwwwwwww those are just too cute. great idea.

The Thrifty Blogger said...

Those are so cute! lol

Secret Agent Mama said...

Olivia will love this. However,I have to go stock up on craft stuff first. She's used it all up! LOL

Amy said...

Those are so precious! You have the best craft ideas! Thank you for sharing!

Steph said...

Ok so you are the craftiest person I know, even if I really don't "know" you. I ran across this contest and I totally think you should enter Craft Contest I hope you don't mind that I sent you the link. If you enter GOOD LUCK!!!

Pieces said...

That is too adorable!

Elroy said...

It's so cute..... perfect for valentine's presents. i think i'll use this idea on my next unique handmade gifts projects......THANKS!!!!!!

Anaïs said...

Those are really adorable!!!!