Thursday, March 6, 2008

Slow Cooker Thursday

I just want to say I am sorry I have not been dropping by your blogs this week, I have been busy and I am taking a little bit of a break. I did not forget about you I just have to catch up on some stuff.
I also wanted to say my husband started working this week. Yeah!!!! We made it. I know we did fine in great part because of all your prayers and well wishes. Thank you so much. I love all my bloggy friends so much. Now on to Slow Cooking Thursday.

For more great recipes got to Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.

I have two recipes today. I made both on Monday and it was a good and easy dinner.
I made Hot Ham Sandwiches and Black Forest Cake.

Hot Ham Sandwiches

( I cut this recipe in half for my family)
from Quick Cooking, Taste of Home's Magazine
3 lbs thinly sliced deli ham ( about 40 slices)
2 cups apple juice
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
12 kaiser rolls. split
additional sweet pickle relish, optional

Separate ham slices and place in a slow cooker. In a bowl, combine the apple juice, brown sugar, relish, mustard and paprika. Pour over ham. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Place 3-4 slices of ham on each roll. Serve with additional relish if desired. Serves :12

I served this with Cole Slow, Potato Salad and Veggies with Dip.

For Dessert we had:

Black Forest Cake
From Fix it and Forget it 5 ingredient favorites

Ingredients:
20 oz can cherry filling (Lite or regular)
18.25 Box Chocolate cake mix, butter style

That is it 2 ingredients, love it.


1. Preheat slow cooker on High for 10 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, spray interior of baking insert, designed to fit into your slow cooker with non stick cooking spray.

3. In a bowl, stir together pie filling and cake mix until mix is throughly moistened. Spoon into insert.

4. Place insert into slow cooker. Cover insert with 8 paper towels. Cover slow cooker.

5. Cook on High for 1 3/4 hours. Remove paper towels and cooking lid. Continue cooking for another 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

6. Remove baking insert from cooker. Serve cake warm directly from the insert.

post signature

25 comments:

Brittany said...

The cake sounds like heaven!

My Goodness said...

Yay Hubby!!! God is Good!!

Mmmm...cake...why do you keep doing this to me!?!?!? :)

Jennifer said...

Yeah for employment!
Smiles!

Betsy said...

They both sound great! Thanks for stopping by!

Beth said...

Can't wait to try both of these!

Tammi said...

These both sound great. I can't wait to try them.

MJ said...

These both look good. Thanks for sharing.

MJ

Melissa said...

I'm so glad to hear your hubby is back to work. That is great news. The cake looks tremendous!

Sandra said...

They both sound so good, yum :)

Manders said...

I'm in no way offended, I know life doesn't revolve around me, even though it should. giggles

I love your site.

Michelle said...

oh what a yum-oh meal Jen!!! thanks for sharing.So glad for you and your Dh that he's back to work..thanks for the blog visit..

Crafts and Gift Guru Gal said...

yummy~ Im so hungry now!

Renee's Reading Corner said...

Both recipes sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing. So glad to hear about hubby!

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

Eleisia said...

I will definitely make the black forest cake! How simple!
The ham sandwiches sound good too!

So glad to hear of your hubby's employment!

Eleisia at
http://chrysanthemoms.com/inthekitchen/

KrisinTN said...

Black Forest Cake sounds yummy! What is a baking insert? Where do I find one?

Melanie said...

Sounds so very yummy!

Pam said...

I am so glad that your hubby is working again- yeah!! You know I love recipes!

Joanna said...

This is funny - I was just wondering how things were going and then you update. Glad you survived.

Mari said...

Oooh - these both look good!
Glad your husband is working again!

Crockpot Lady said...

hey, I always wondered what a black forest cake was--thanks for sharing this!
-steph

Steph said...

Yummy, that cake sounds wonderful!
Glad to hear all is going well onthe work front.

Sheila said...

That cake recipe sounds great!

Yeah for hubby!

Don Mills Diva said...

So glad your hubby's back to work!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

YUM! I made your chocolate dessert last week, and it was a hit!

*carrie* said...

Yay--thanks for the update on your husband!

By the way, I made your crockpot chocolate cake last night, and it was a big hit!