Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hearty Sausage Sandwich


WARNING: If you are on a diet, do not read any further.
This is a Terrific, Yummy , Delicious Sub I I just made, but it is not figure friendly.

Hearty Sausage Sandwich
from Taste of Home Magazine, April & May 2008 (about $.98 per serving)

1 lb bulk Italian Sausage (I used Turkey Sausage)
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (I did not use peppers)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese cubed
1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 loaf ( 1lb) unsliced Italian Bread
1-1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

In a large skillet, cook sausage, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink: drain. Add cream cheese, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, water and oregano. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
Cut bread in half horizontally, hollow out top and bottom, leaving 3/4 in. shell (save removed bread for another purpose).
Place bread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle both sides with the mozzarella cheese; top with sausage mixture. Place in oven heated at 350 degrees until cheese is melted.
YUM!! YUM!!! YUM!!!!!

post signature

15 comments:

Nikki said...

That looks soo yummy! I'll have to print off that recipe :D.

http://www.southernpixie.com/msgrrlblog

Maggie said...

Holy smokes...that looks AMAZING! I can't wait to make it for myself!

Pam said...

Hubby is going to love this!

Mari said...

That looks so good - I just printed it off. Thanks!

Andrea said...

I am not on a diet, so I'll definitely have to try this one! ;)

tommie said...

that looks good!! I might have to print this out for dinner.

Pam said...

I'm drooling...

Hey, at least you made it "healthier" by using turkey sausage!

Beth said...

I know you saved some for me, right?

Jennifer said...

yum yum!

Family Adventure said...

Oh my gawd. I should've heeded your warning. Now I.Must.Make.It.

Heidi

Jen said...

It looks great and I'm always searching for a sandwich recipe....summer is coming up so I need sandwich ideas...thanks for sharing.

Lynell said...

My mouth is watering. Looks delicious!! Your blog is so much fun. I love all the great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

Kristi said...

That sounds heavenly! I will have to try it!

MamaGeek said...

Crafty AND a good cook too? Does your family know how good they have it!

Jenn said...

I can not belive how behind I am on your blog. I am going to catch up now.

BTW- that sandwich looks amazing! Too bad I am no a diet. I will have to save it for a later date. Yum.