Thursday, June 5, 2008

More Work For The Kids and Less Work For Me


This summer my motto is going to be, " More work for the kids and less work for me." I love the way that sounds (now let's see if it really happens).
In my pursuit of my new motto, I have started allowing my 5 and 3 year old to make their own lunches. I know it sounds scary but it has been working. They have been making what I call, "The Super Duper Sandwich." Yes, I know it is not the most healthy sandwich but the kids like it and can make it themselves.

Ingredients:
Wheat bread (Healthy)
Peanut Butter (Somewhat healthy)
Marshmallows (not so healthy, but no fat)
Chocolate Chips (not healthy but good)
and when I am making it I add bananas.

They love eating this and they make it with very little mess. It works for me.

I thought I would also share this recipe. My friend Christy made it for our MOPS meeting, and it was so so yummy. This is a great summer recipe.


Vegetable Salad


1 can of Shoe peg corn, drained

1 can of small peas, drained

1 4oz jar of pimento, drained

1 cup chopped celery

1 cup chopped green pepper

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup sugar

1 cup vinegar

1 cup oil


Mix the first 6 items together in a bowl.

Combine the last three items together in a pot, boil to slightly thicken ingredients and then cool before pouring over the salad. Refrigerate overnight.




post signature

13 comments:

Mari said...

That salad sounds good. I love the picture of the kids working away on their sandwiches!

Lian said...

"More work for the kids and less work for me" - I truly believe in this too.

Kristina said...

I'm tagging you for a Breast Cancer Awareness meme, if you want to participate.

E and T said...

I would have never entertained the thought of combining some of those ingredients for a sandwich (marshmallow, peanut butter and chocolate chips), but I do admire the creativity of your children. I remember when my sister and I were little we would come up with all kinds of weird and wonderful fillings for our sandwiches and what's more we would eat them. Ohh the tastebuds of a child - anything goes when you make it yourself!!!!

Love
Elise

Andrea said...

Mmmm...yum. You are making me hungry for a midnight snack! hehe. :)

Becky said...

What an excellent idea! I love your motto and hey, a few marshmallows and chocolate chips never hurt anyone.... granted I believe I'll have to put a limit on the number mine can have or else they will have a MOUNTAIN burying their banana somewhere beneath!! Thanks for the ideas!

carrie said...

That sounds like the perfect motto for the summer!

Veronica said...

That photo is fantastic!

Life As I Know It said...

Sounds like a great motto!

Steph said...

Good for you for keeoing the kids busy! And I love the motto!

MamaGeek said...

You had me at your post title!

YUM. O.

Heidi said...

I love the sandwiches. Thanks for reminding me to have them do some of the work in a fun way. I forget sometimes and take the "it's easier to just do it myself" road, which sometimes it isn't.

Jenn said...

This is my motto too! I am going to let my boys make this sandwich this week.

I have enjoyed catching up on your blog this morning.