Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Simple Science- What Happened to the Water ?




This is an easy experiment that I know we have all done or seen before, but I like to use my blog as a resource of ideas. Maybe on a rainy day you need to find something to do and you look on my blog and say, " Oh I forgot about that, we can do that."




Have you ever wondered how the plant outside get the water they need from the soil? Here is a fun experiment to show you how plants drink.




I did this in my 2's class and they loved it. I was surprised how interested they were to do this.






You will need: a glass, water, food coloring (red works well), spoon, and 1 celery stalk with leaves.








Fill the glass half way with water.




Drop in red food coloring, enough to make the water dark red.






Stir the water.

















Put the celery in and wait over night.









You can ask, "What will happen?" The celery leaves turn red. There will also be red lines lengthwise through the stalk. Cut the stalk in half, and you will see red dots.









You can explain, as a plant grows, it roots act like straws, sucking up the water. The tiny tubes carry the water up to the leaves.




post signature

5 comments:

Mari said...

I remember doing this with my kids. It's fun and easy!

Kristi said...

I remember doing that as a kid! And loving it!

Kristin said...

great thinking, I had forgotten this. My kids have been over-watering, this will help them understand how it works. Thanks!

Don Mills Diva said...

What a neat way to illustrate this - thanks for the tip.

The four little penguins say: said...

I've done this with a carnation, but never with celery! Cool! Thanks for sharing.