Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Thanksgiving Bracelet

Cheyanne and I made this great bracelet by retelling the Pilgrim's story.


We used: 2 brown beads, 1 tan bead, 4 white beads, 3 blue beads, 2 green beads, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange. 15 beads total.
We also used a pipe stem cleaner to make the bracelet.









String the beads according to the story.


- First brown bead represents the Pilgrims leaving England for religious freedom
-Next white bead represents the sails on the Mayflower
-3 blue beads for the long trip over the ocean.
-1 green for when they saw land
-3 white for the snow during that long winter
-1 green for the arrival of spring
-1 tan for the Native Americans who helped the Pilgrims
-4 beads for the food the Pilgrims served on Thanksgiving
- 1 red for the cranberries
- 1 yellow for the corn
- 1 brown for the turkey
- 1 orange for the pumpkin



Cheyanne is proud of her bead work.













Here is the finished product.

This was a fun way to discuss the first Thanksgiving.

















post signature


14 comments:

Sheila said...

What a great idea!

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

I saw this and thought it would make a great craft for their class party but then Peter told me they made a necklace like this today. Oh well....

Jaina said...

What a neat learning craft. I love this idea.

Barnes Yard said...

I'm so glad I have you to entertain my kids!

Shannon said...

Thanks for the great idea! I have a 2 1/2 year old that will love this!

Christine said...

Again, cute craft! It is a shame you have to throw them away when you are done. Too bad they couldn't be donated to decorate a retirement center or something.

Becca said...

I love this idea, we are doing it tomorrow. Do you have a similiar project for Christmas?? Thanks! Becca

Livin' out loud said...

Great job Cheyanne!! We will be making the Mayflower, thanks for the idea Jennifer!
Susan

::Sylvia:: said...

I love this idea! I am featuring it on Blissfully Domestic's Creative Channel (if you don't mind). Please contact me at sylvia{at}blissfullydomestic{dot}com

I'd love to have you join our team of contributors! If you're interested let me know! :)

MoziEsmé said...

I LOVE this idea! Hopefully I'll be someplace I can get beads before Thanksgiving next year...

Rachael said...

Thanks for this hon! My daughter came home from school with this braclet and could not remember what everything meant!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this idea. I made these with my preschool class and then sent home a little piece of paper saying what each color represented. I received great feedback from parents!

Deb Chitwood said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving activity! I featured it on the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

Bryan-College Station Girl Scouts Service Unit said...

This is so cool.

I'm intrigued more generally by the idea of representing a journey, or a stream of events, by colored beads. Having them on a bracelet is a pretty perfect way to put it in a child's mind on an ongoing basis -- so many people to explain it to, etc.