Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Spider Party

I know everyone is gearing up for Valentine's Day, but my son just had his birthday party over the weekend and I thought I would share a few things we did.

Colton loves anything that is creepy and crawly, he is not afraid to pick up any kind of bug. He asked if he could have a spider party. Fortunately for me, he ask for it months ago, so I could pick up things after Halloween cheap. Birthday party's can get so expensive, so any way I can save I try to do.

In the first picture , I hung crepe paper as spider webs and hung Styrofoam spiders up that we made during Halloween.

I got this awesome tablecloth at Kohl's for less than $2 (originally $29.99), and the spiders I also bought for 1.99 a piece.

We made these spider plates from black plates, construction paper, wiggly eyes and glue sticks. Who needs Zoo Pals.

Let me start by saying, I am the WORST cake decorator there is and I know this, please do not turn me into Cake Wrecks.

Colton insisted on a snake cake (my husband said it looked like a slug, oh well.) and here it is.

Even though it is not pretty, Colton loved and that is all that counts.

The kids mostly played and had a great time. It was the best sleep over I have had so far.

post signature


SomerJane said...

Really cute spider plates...love the zoo pal comment~ hee!
Way to go with using the SAVINGS of after holiday sales!!
I plan on doing the same thing with all the Valentine stuff this month since my daughter wants a "PINK" party at the end of March!
Looks like the party was a success, good job!!

ScottChrisCoriCassiCali said...

There is never a bad birthday cake when it is made by a parent with love. I imagine your son LOVED that cake. In our house, my husband makes all the cakes for the girls. Well I make them, he decorates them. And my husband doesn't do anything fancy. It's the simple fact that he does that makes it GREAT every time.
Kudos for making the cake!

BranFlakes said...

What a cute party! I LOVE the spider plates.

Astrid said...


I did do a quick Valentine's Day Counting Activity- it's been a big hit and I love how my littlest doesn't mind counting out the hearts. Fun!

April said...

This is such a cute idea! very creative!

rainbowmummy said...

What a cool party, and I love the cake, real effort went into it :0)

Jaina said...

What a cool party idea! It sounds like they had a fabulous time :)

melanie said...

Those spider ideas are so fun! I'll have to remember to come back for halloween party ideas.

~Sara said...

What a great idea! I love the spider plates and the cake is great!

Amy said...

Don't you just love after-holiday clearance sales?
Great job with the party and I agree with previous posters: it's a great cake! That's my kind of ability, too;)

Kimberly said...

I LOVE the tablecloth! I think you did a great job on the cake. I will have to file this one away in my brain for future party ideas! Thanks.

~Bobbi~ said...

I can't believe I paid the full price for that tableclothe! lol On Halloween though, I got a million complements.

The cake is great! I love making cakes. You did a terrific job. Bundt pan cut right? I was going to make the same one for my daughter Hungry Caterpillar party but make it look like a caterpillar.

Thank you for the comments on my page ;)

Ella Jo said...

I love, love, love the spider plates. I had an idea to make it last for a few more years: glue the legs and face to a place mat size piece of paper, and laminate them later. Then you just stick the plate in the middle every year.