Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cinco de Mayo Crafts Part 1

With Cinco de Mayo coming soon I thought it would be a good time to do some Mexican crafts. We made a sombrero and a poncho. Before starting the craft ,I like to show Cheyanne what the real ones look like first on the web or in a book.

To make the sombrero we used:

1 paper plate, 1 Styrofoam bowl, bright colored paints, glue, chenille stems and beads.

1. paint the bowl and plate and allow to dry.

2. Glue bowl to plate.

3. Punch holes around the border of the plate for beads and two holes a little further in for the hat strap.

4. Thread beads on to chenille stems and wrap in holes around the border.

5. Thread chenille stems through hat strap holes.

For the poncho we used: Large paper bag, scissors and brightly colored paints.

1. Cut a hole in the bottom of the bag, large enough for your child's head. And cut large slits in the sides for the arms.
2. Paint with bright colors. Allow time to dry.
3. Cut fringes on the bottom of the poncho.

More Cinco de Mayo crafts to come.

post signature


MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

I admit, I don't know which is cuter - the craft of the model! :)

The Harris Family said...

She looks so cute. I love this idea. Thanks for sharing

Vickie said...

Oh my gosh, that is so cool! I can't believe it is going to be May!!

sunnymama said...

That's really cool! I love the poncho.

Valerie said...

That looks festive, indeed!

Livin' out loud said...

That is super cute! You are SO creative.

Isela said...

This is awesome! we have a little neighborhood party and we have about 20+ kiddos,I think they will love doing this craft. Thanks!