Thursday, May 21, 2009

Super Easy Summer Recipe-Texas Caviar

I love this recipe, it is so super easy, inexpensive and so good. The kids can definitely help make this, and it is great for all the end of the year potlucks a lot of us have to go to.

Two of my four kids like this, I know it may not be for every kid. But it is something they can make and you can eat.

I found this recipe in The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. I am trying to lose a little because bathing suit season is coming.


TEXAS CAVIAR

1 (15 oz) can 50% sodium black beans, rinsed and drained

1 (15 oz) can 50% less sodium whole kernal corn, rinsed and drained

3/4 cup fresh salsa or pico de gallo refrigerated not jarred, Walmart has good Pico de Gallo in their refrigerated fresh vegetable section

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar

1 teaspoon cumin

Salt and ground pepper to taste

Hot sauce to taste



In a large glass or plastic bowl, combine the beans, corn, salsa or pico de gallo, cilantro, vinegar, and cumin. Season with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.

Serve with corn chips or by itself as a side dish.

post signature

3 comments:

Beth- the mama bee said...

yeah, yeah, this is yummy. We make it some times with diced avacado or diced jicima (sp?) too.

Heather said...

oh my goodness, this sounds so yummy!! I can't wait to try it!!

MochaTrina@Me So Hongry... said...

Found you via the well rounded woman. I will definitely add this to my weekly menu.