Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Summer Camp - Day 1 - Silly Science Day

I am sorry I have not been posting or commenting a lot, my youngest has been sick for over a week now and I am not sure when she will ever be over this virus. We have been to the doctors 3 times now because she keeps having high fevers. My oldest daughter has gotten it too, but it only lasted for about 4 days.

Thanks to all that participated in We Made it, Friday Showcase!! I hope to get a chance to look at the links soon.

SILLY SCIENCE DAY

Last week my preschool had a week long summer camp. Another teacher and I planned the activities, I unfortunately missed most of it because of Cheyanne being sick. But I thought I would share our ideas.

DAY 1 was SILLY SCIENCE.

9:00-9:15: Story time: Science Related Story

9:15-9:30 Make Ocean Jello Cups - Fill clear plastic cups with blue Jello, add Swedish fish. Place in refrigerator to allow time to firm. Before eating top with Cool Whip to represent the white caps on the ocean.

9:30- 11:00: Science Stations

Station 1: Bio Putty - Bio Putty is a combination of Bio Color Paint and a special Bio Color Solution making a slime like substance.

What is Bio Color Paint,



It is a great paint product that can do a lot of different projects that regular paints can not do. I know it is a product a lot of you will not get, but it is a cool product to share.

Station 2: Sand tray Gems- Also a Bio Color Project. I could not find any examples of this. But it is very cool, you can make crystals in seconds instead of days like most crystal projects.

Station 3: Oobleck: 2 cups of corn starch, 3 drops of green food coloring and enough water to make a thick mixture (about the texture of pancake batter) usually equal amounts of water and corn starch but mix slowly.

Use different utensils to play with the mixture. Spatulas, plastics utensils, bowls and funnels are all fun tools.

Things to take note of:

- This is a solid and liquid at the same time,

-If you make a ball and throw it up in the air, it looses shape and becomes flat in the air

- It can be molded in a container and when taken out it does not keep it's shape

- When you leave Oobleck in the sun, the color evaporates, it turns hard like cement on the top and like jelly on the bottom. When heated this also happens and it is sticky.

-Oobleck does not bounce.

Station 4: Easy Volcanoes, go here

Station 5: Water Cup Lift, go here

Station 6: Dino dig- We filled a large under the bed plastic container with rice and covered about 100 small plastic dinosaurs. The kids had to remove the dinos large plastic tongs.

11:00-11:15 Science Story/Bathroom break

11:15-11:30: Snack

11:30-12:00 Playground

It was a fun day, had by all.

4 comments:

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

Looks like a great day of camp!

I hope Chey feels better soon!

Martha said...

Wow this sounds like fun. will have to remember all of this when my GS troop does one of the science try its.

The Harris Family said...

Fun projects. I hope your kids feel better soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.