Tuesday, March 2, 2010

5 Senses- Smell

We had so much fun in preschool today. We are continuing our study on the 5 senses. This week is smell but also incorporating the other senses too.

We started off with fruity play dough. I made strawberry and lime.
This is a great recipe.

Fruity Play Dough

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 package Kool-Aid (any flavor)
  • 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 3/4 cup boiling water
    (the original recipe called for one cup of boiling water, but I found it made the dough too loose- aim for 3/4 cup and add more if needed)
Mix all dry ingredients in bowl then oil, then pour boiling water in and mix thoroughly. Wrap in cellophane or air tight container and store in fridge. The play dough should last a few months.

Then we shot off a rocket. You can hear it, see it and smell it. Plus, it is just fun to do.

Then we worked on a page from our 5 senses book.

"Smell- My sense of smell helps me learn how things smell."

We painted coffee filters, let them dry and decorated them. Finally sprayed the flower with perfume.

And for snack I made Jello jinglers, they are so fun with the senses unit.

post signature

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

GREAT ideas!!

Jamie said...

AWESOME - I love all the activities!

diane said...

I especially love the coffee filter flowers. I have a box of those laying around and now have a super use for them! Thanks

Adrianna said...

You are so awesome! I used to work at daycares (2-4 year olds) and I wish I would've thought of the coffee pot flowers. These ideas are so neat. And kool-aid play dough, getting the tartar tomorrow to make our own!

riya manna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
riya manna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.