Sunday, November 21, 2010

Jesse Tree

I am super excited about this project. It is a large project for me, but I think it is worth it. I am really trying to find ways to put Christ as the center of our Christmas, not presents and Santa Claus. I am also excited because this is something I can hold on to and do every year.

Because this is on the large side I will break it down into several blog posts.

The Jesse Tree can be done in so many ways, some super simple and some super complicated. There are many different resources out there for you to do it how you would like.

HISTORY

If you have never heard of a Jesse Tree (I got my info here and here ) :

Jesse was the father of the great King David of the Old Testament. He is often looked upon as the first person in the genealogy of Jesus.

The Jesse Tree dates back to the middle ages and came from Europe. Even some ancient cathedrals have Jesse Tree designs in their stained glass windows. The "tree" is usually a branch or sapling and is decorated with various symbols that remind us of the purpose and promises of God from Creation to the Birth of Jesus Christ.

Jesse was the father of King David and God promised David that his Kingdom would last forever. Two centuries after the death of King David, God spoke through the prophet Isaiah and said:

And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots: and the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him: the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and fortitude, the spirit of knowledge, and of the fear of the Lord. (Isaiah 11:1-2)

Each Jesse Tree ornament usually consists of a handmade symbol or drawing that represents one of the major stories of the Old Testament along with a brief verse of Scripture from that story.

ORNAMENTS

To make the ornaments I went to Michael's and purchased some pre-cut wooden pieces. Some were pre cut into the shapes I wanted, and the others were circles and ovals to paint out own pictures. They are .29 cents a piece.



To get the idea for our ornaments I went here. I got my scripture and picture suggestions from here.

If you do not want to paint and just print off the picture you can go here.

I drew the pics on the wood with a pencil. The kids painted the pics with acrylic paints and then I traced the outline with a black marker.

For DEC 1, CREATION, we used a STAR to go with GEN 1:1-31; 2:1-4.
Other symbols suggestions : sun, moon, stars, animal, earth

For DEC 2, ADAM and EVE : we made a tree for GEN 2:7-9, 18-24
Other symbols: man,woman

For DEC 3 , FALL OF MAN: we used an apple with a serpent. GEN 3:1-7, 23-24.
Symbols, tree, serpent, apple with a bite.
DEC 4, NOAH: GEN 6:5-8, 13-22, 7:17, 23, 24 ,8:1, 6-22.
Symbol: ark, animals, dove, rainbow.


DEC 4 , ABRAHAM: GEN 12:1-3.
Symbols: Mountains, torch, sword.


Here are the devotionals to go along with it.

The next set of ornaments will be posted tomorrow.

post signature

3 comments:

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

What a great way to really put CHRIST in Christmas!!

Ticia said...

I love your ornaments. I'm trying to decide what I want to do with this.

Livin' out loud said...

You are awesome! We will be working on this same project..maybe a little different but I am so happy you have provided this info!!
Thanks!!