Friday, November 19, 2010

Prayer Box

I was reading an article in the magazine,"Real Simple" by Mary Lou Quinlan. She wrote about her mother having a "God Box." It was "A box that she put a list of cares in. The simple act of writing down the wish and relinquishing control to a higher power was her way to help others, and relieve her mind. "

I thought that this was a great idea and would be a great tool for the kids to learn to use early in life. This would help them (and me) to get use to leaning on God for their concerns and thanking Him for their blessings.

I talked to the kids about it, and I asked them what kind of prayers would they like to send to God. I love their answers, kids are so in tuned to what is going on around us.

I also thought it would be great to hold on to these prayers to look back and see what problems layed heavy on our hearts and how they are answered. Sometimes, "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers."

I bought my box at "Michael's" ( a Craft Store) and stained it. There are so many many ways to do this and Michael's has so many different kind of boxes. Another idea I was thinking of was to have each child decorate their own box. The possibilities are endless.

It would make for a great gift for the kids to make and give to someone for Christmas.

post signature


Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

Such a great idea! I think I am going to do this too! Make sure you date them and also when a prayer gets answered you could write that on the other side.

Jason and Danielle said...

I just happened upon your blog, while looking for some fun last minute thanksgiving crafts to do with my littles. I just did a shout out on my blog for you. I couldn't resist sharing all the cute activities you have for littles. Thank you for all your cute ideas. We home school and I have a feeling my kids will be loving art time a little more now :>


JDaniel4's Mom said...

I love this idea. JDaniel needs to be a little older, but I really think I want to do this with him.

Rockabye Butterfly said...

I love your blog and follow it often. Thanks for sharing all your awesome ideas!
I just started my own homeschooling blog!
Check it out :)

JDaniel4's Mom said...

This post is being featured on My Great Posts of the Week.