Saturday, June 19, 2010

Make Your Own Laundry Detergent

Having 4 kids makes laundry a never ending battle, and laundry detergent is getting very expensive to buy. I found a recipe to make your own detergent, so I thought I would try it. It is very simple to make and makes a ton detergent at a great price. A 5 gallon bucket costs less than $2.


Recipe:

1 bar of Fels-Naptha
(This is an old time, heavy duty laundry bar used for stain removal. Any bar soap will work but this is suppose to work the best.)

1 cup of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda

1 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax

I found the Fels-Naptha ($1.29 bar) and the Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda at Ace Hardware. I found the Borax at Wal-Mart.


Directions:

Shave the bar of soap into small pieces using a cheese grater.

In a large sauce pan, heat a gallon of water to boiling. As soon as the water boils, turn the heat down and add the soap pieces. Stir occasionally until the soap dissolves, then pour the mixture into a clean 5 gallon bucket. Stir in the Borax and washing soda. Fill the bucket the rest of the way with warm water and stir.
Place a lid on the bucket and let it sit overnight.
After 24 hours, you'll have a giant gel clot of detergent. Break it up with your hands, to make it easier to pour out of the bucket.
Use about 3/4 cup of detergent in a regular washing machine and about 1/4 cup in a high efficiency machine.





post signature

8 comments:

Growing Blessings said...

Hi! I also posted on this on my blog....I make it powdered, though. I've been using it for about 5 months or so now and it works great! The reason that I make the powdered is because it's quicker :) You'll love it!
Nicki
daveandnickiskids.blogspot.com

Danielle @ "We Don't Have It All Together" said...

WOW that sounds easy! And cheap! Thanks for posting... I will have to give it a try.

Phyllis said...

We make a liquid laundry detergent using liquid castile soap instead of grating the bar. It doesn't get gloppy, but it is a little more expensive than the bar soap kind. If you are interested in trying it, the recipe is here: http://householdways.blogspot.com/2010/04/homemade-laundry-detergent.html

Livin' out loud said...

You can also add essential oils for fragrance!

Laura said...

I use the same general recipe but use Zote soap (about $1 at BigLots), doubling the powdered ingredients since the zote is so big. Then, I've basically made concentrate form. So, I use 1/2 as much per load. The concentrate is an AMAZING stain pre-treater!

Christie said...

We love it too and use orange essential oil in it for a citrus-y smell. ;)

Paul and Ines said...

ok..for my first batch ...I made it & split with a friend before the 24hrs...did I do it wrong? It didn't set to the point where I had to break it up..should I redo it...it kinda looks like egg flower soupish

Kelly Polizzi said...

Hey, just stopping by to let you know I gave you a blog award :)

http://kpolizzi.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-awards.html