Thursday, June 19, 2008

Easy Home-Made Slushees


This is one of my kids favorite recipes. It is easy, fun, cheap and can be healthy. It is home made slushees.

You will need: 1 large resealable baggie, 1 smaller resealable baggie, rock salt or kosher salt, and a drink of choice. We have used all kinds of fruit juices, lemonade, and sodas (I know soda is not the best choice.)










Fill the large bag with crushed ice and about 3 tablespoons of salt.Exact measurements are not required. Fill the smaller bags with a drink.






Put the smalled bag into the larger bag and shake for about 3 minutes. Give or take a minute.









When frozen put in a bowl and serve.

















This is the orange juice.







This is the fruit juice






This is a great treat, I hope you enjoy.

21 comments:

MamaGeek said...

Reallllllly? You don't say. I am so going to try this (and, bonus, I doubt I'll be able to screw it up).

Pam said...

we love slushies around here- I never thought about making it myself before!

Brittany said...

whoa! so cool!

Kareer Woman said...

Fantastic idea!

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

So you are bringing a big batch of these to the pool today? Right??

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

Good Idea, have to let the kids try this one...

Don Mills Diva said...

I am soooo trying this!

Melissa said...

Hmmm, I never would have figured that would work! I'm going to have to give it a try!

Chelle said...

Oh, yum! I'm going to have to try those out for sure. Thanks for the recipe :)

Shannon said...

VERY fun!!! Thanks for the great idea and Happy POW!

care-in said...

I'm going to try this...fun!

Kelli said...

You can also do a mock ice cream that same way, put milk or cream (I cant remember, youll have to expermint) and some vanilla, shake shake shake, I cant really remember exactly, sorry, maybe google ziplock baggy ice cream or tin can ice cream.

carrie said...

Oh that looks yummy! We might have to try that one!

E and T said...

Yum. What a refreshing treat for those warmer days.

Love
Elise

Renee' said...

Great recipe! My kids are going to love this!! Thanks for sharing.

McMommy said...

7-Eleven is very mad at you right now...you are giving away all their secrets to a Slurpee!

hahaha!

Happy POW!

Amy said...

That looks like such a fun recipe!

Lisa said...

I have done this for ice cream but didn't realize you could do it with juice!! GREAT BLOG, I am bookmarking you so I can read many more inspiring posts!

Ginny said...

This great, my kids are always crying for slushies & we never have the extra money. I could do this!

❉ pixie ❉ said...

We just made the ice cream in a bag a couple of weeks ago. The slushies sound great—I may have to try this tonight.

Hands-Free Heart said...

Great idea! Bonus tip... get out the winter gloves and let the kids smush, toss and roll the bag for the 3 minutes! That's what we did at a picnic to make ice cream (oh yea, for ice cream, you'll probably need some sugar as well as the vanilla!)